Village of Kalkaska
Downtown Development Authority
MINUTES OF A REGULAR MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY, MARCH 1, 2016 IN THE VILLAGE COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 200 HYDE STREET, KALKASKA, MICHIGAN, 49646
- CALL TO ORDER: The Village of Kalkaska Downtown Development Authority regular meeting was called to order by Chairman Bruce Zenner at 5:04 P.M.
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Burgin, Sieting, Yost, Zenner, Sanborn, Coffey, Yost
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: Hayes
PUBLIC PRESENT: Cash Cook (DDA Director), Gayenell Gentelia (Recording Secretary),
Molly Paryani, Kevin Rogels and Natalie Rhoades
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Motion by Coffey, second by Sanborn, to approve agenda as presented. All Ayes, motion carried.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Motion by Coffey, second by Sanborn, to approve February 2, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes as presented. All Ayes, motion carried.
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: [Please stand and state your name for the record]
Kevin Rogels – Attending on behalf of the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority. Brownfield is going through strategic planning and determined they would like to have a liaison to the DDA Board. Kevin will be the liaison between Brownfield and the DDA Board.
- PRESENTATION: None
- COMMITTEE REPORTS
- DDA Director Update
- We’ve been approved for a $5,000 planning grant from Rotary Charities. This will organize our efforts in grant writing and fundraising for our project list. The Rotary Charities suggestion is to submit our application for the Visitors Community Information Center for the September round.
- The Boardman Watershed group met in Traverse City, and I presented the Kalkaska DDA project list.
- The 131 Corridor group is working on an action plan, which will also include our project list.
- The Village needs to rewrite its Recreation and Master Plans this year. We’ll be working with Networks Northwest on this project.
- The DDA Plan needs to be refreshed next year.
- We meet tomorrow with a specific multi-family housing developer.
- In case you missed it, the old municipal garage collapsed. We’re working with the Iceman staff to move the start of the race to the Civic Center.
- The Brownfield Redevelopment Authority is creating an Action Plan, and wishes to have a BRA / DDA / Council cooperative meeting for input.
- Main Street Program Developer Update
- KPTA – I had another discussion with KPTA Director, Janet Cox, regarding a Senior Shuttle for all DDA Events. We’ve sent them dates of event on the calendar. Janet brought our request to the Board and they had several questions she could not answer. I will be attending their next Board Meeting on March 17 @ 9:00 AM. They are very interested, but wanted to address their questions before providing approval.
- November Fest is still planning on an event in November (with Iceman), but they may need to re-think the entire event. They are aware the venue has changed to the Civic Center and Steve Brown is in the process of obtaining approval. I let the November Fest group know that they will not be able to use the Civic Center at all.
- Airport Fly-In is on track with the following now confirmed: North Flight Aero Med Helicopter, US Coast Guard, NMC, DNR, Classic Car Show, Antique Engine & Tractors, Kalkaska Fire Department (both Classic Truck and current truck) and Northwoods Aviation providing an amphibian plane display and airplane rides for a fee. We may need to purchase additional insurance to cover this event. DDA Director will provide the approval and we will keep the board posted.
- Renewed our membership to the National Main Street Network. There is a Main Street Conference in May that would be beneficial for me to attend.
- Kalkaska Rhinos Appreciation Day had a technology hiccup, but all in all, the organization was jazzed about the event.
- Movie Night, in partnership with the Library, may be coming to fruition. Library is reviewing their budget to see if they can purchase the screen. We are hopeful we will have Movie Night @ Railroad Square this summer.
- Finance Committee – Finance Committee met and discussed renewing Consulting Services Agreement with Main Street Program Developer. Contract expired February 29, 2016. The new contract will expire February 28, 2017. Motion by Coffey, second by Sieting, to approve the updated Consulting Service Agreement Main Street Program Developer and designate DDA President to sign contract agreement on behalf of the DDA. A roll call vote was taken: Ayes – Coffey, Sanborn, Sieting, Yost, Zenner, Burgin. Nays – None. Absent – Hayes. Motion Carried.
- Projects & Promotions
- Community Concert dates are set for July 16 and September 10
- Upcoming Events – Winterfest, Kalkaska Rhinos Appreciation Day, Trout Festival (how can we help), Speeder Rail Cars, Airport Fly-In, Bacchanalia, Kalkaska County Fair, Iceman Cometh
- Street Festival
- August 12 – Community Picnic and Concert
- Kiwanis to cook and serve picnic
- Same menu as last year (hot dog, chips, cookie)
- Begin serving at 6:00 PM
- Concert – 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- August 13 – Street Festival
- Bounce House(s)
- Dunk Tank
- August 14 – possibly move Kiwanis Steak & Corn Dinner to this day to coincide with Street Festival. Diana to discuss with Kiwanis
- Tent is reserved
- Need tables & chairs (same set-up as last year)
- Port-a-johns – need 2 additional with a total of 4
- Try to get vented with fan
- August 12 – Community Picnic and Concert
- Farmer’s Market Committee
- Handed out updated applications to everyone
- Kenny Thompson will perform at least once during the season
- Josh Peterson – Rep Veterans Farm Coalition will be here at our next meeting
- Marketing Ideas – we are still looking for a builder
- Need a budget for entertainment @ Farmers’ Market – recommend $2100
- Need to pursue meeting with KHS Band Director for Jazz Band to play at least for Opening Day
- CURRENT BUSINESS:
- Bills: Motion by Coffey, second by Sanborn, to approve payment of the bills as presented. A roll call vote was taken: Ayes – Sanborn, Sieting, Yost, Zenner, Burgin, Coffey. Nays – None. Absent – Hayes. Motion carried.
- Cash Balance Report: Motion by Coffey, second by Sanborn, to accept as presented. All Ayes, motion carried.
- Revenue Expenditure Report: Deferred to next month. Farmers’ Market budget is at zero. Need to discuss with Treasurer.
- Approve Branding Artwork: A board member feels it lacks in color. Burgin to solicit a logo and we will compare it to current example. Burgin would like to remove color and wording “est. 1873”. Will table until the next meeting
- Approve Michael Ascione’s Appointment to DDA Board Vacancy: There are 2 vacancies. Michael is very active in the 131 Corridor Group. He was the 1st to apply for the position. Nominating Committee will interview the other 2 candidates. Motion by Sanborn, second by Yost, to approve Michael Ascione to the DDA Board. A roll call vote was taken: Ayes – Sanborn, Sieting, Yost, Burgin, Coffey. Nays – None. Absent – Hayes, Zenner. Motion Carried.
Is it time to address Hayes’s absence from meetings?
- Approve Main Street Program Developer’s Participation in National Main Street Convention in Milwaukee, WI, May 23-25 (~$1700): Discussion on benefit of attending. Motion by Sanborn, second by Coffey, to approve Main Street Program Developer’s participation at National Main Street Convention. A roll call vote was taken: Ayes – Sieting, Yost, Burgin, Coffey, Sanborn. Nays – None. Absent: Hayes, Zenner. Motion Carried.
- Approve DDA Director’s Participation in MDA’s Workshop in Plymouth, MI on April 14-15 (~$700): DDA Director will be leading a workshop on Diplomacy. Motion by Sanborn, second by Coffey, to approve DDA Director’s participation in MDA’s Workshop. A roll call vote was taken: Ayes – Yost, Burgin, Coffey, Sanborn, Sieting. Nays – None. Absent – Hayes, Zenner. Motion Carried.
- OLD BUSINESS:
- Recurring Agenda Items:
- Clock Tower / Rotary – W have changed the name of this project to “Visitor’s Community Information Center”.
- Recurring Agenda Items:
- FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
- New legislation for Historical District
- Trout was a cool gimmick for Kalkaska, but would love to see a ghost town map @ center of our branding. We are trying to add an interactive map to the new DDA website.
- Walmart will be at this week’s Planning & Zoning Meeting to request a color palette change. Meeting is to take place Thursday, March 3, 2016 @ 6:00 PM at the Village Council Chambers.
ADJOURN: Meeting adjourned at 6:08 pm by Vice-Chair Patty Coffey.
Next Meeting – April 5, 2016 @ 5:00 p.m.
Recording Secretary: Gayenell Gentelia