VILLAGE OF KALKASKA
PLANNING COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING
JULY 6, 2017
COUNCIL CHAMBERS – 200 HYDE STREET
MINUTES OF THE MEETING
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
Chair Larsen called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Chair Larsen, Burgin, Baxter, White and Yost.
PUBLIC PRESENT: Richard Otto, Mayjor Bole, Jodi Willison and Juanita Coon.
Chair Larsen led with the Pledge of Allegiance.
APPROVAL OF REGULAR AGENDA
Motion by Baxter, second by Burgin, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- June 1, 2017 Regular Meeting: Motion by White, second by Baxter, to approve as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
SITE PLANS REVIEWS
- Commission on Aging Senior Center: Yost explained that the site plan submitted consists of the renovation of and addition to the Kalkaska County Senior Center. Yost noted that no change in signage or driveway access is anticipated by the Senior Center. Jodi Willison of the Kalkaska County Commission on Aging stated the project also includes the removal of a 5-foot sidewalk, to be replaced with an 8-foot sidewalk, which will be paid for in part by a grant.
Burgin asked about the deteriorating siding on the building. Mayjor Bole of Kalkaska County stated it would be replaced. Juanita Coon asked if the project would affect parking at the People’s Church. Bole replied that it would not. Richard Otto stated that, as a former board member, he was involved in the early planning stages of the project.
Yost stated that the Village Manager’s Office conducted an administrative review, following the Site Plan Review Checklist, of the Site Plan Application and supplemental materials submitted for the proposed Kalkaska Senior Center renovation and addition. Yost identified the following matters which the Manager’s office views as conditions of any anticipated site plan approval:
- That calculations showing adequate storm water handling capacity and design are submitted to, and approved by, the Village Engineer.
- A statement by a qualified authority that soil erosion control plans are not required for the project.
- Certification that building footprint-to-lot size are within Zoning Ordinance requirements.With the inclusion of the above listed conditions, Yost stated the Manager’s office finds the application and submittals would meet the criteria for site plan approval contained in the Village of Kalkaska Zoning Ordinance §152.108.Motion by Yost, second by White, that the Village of Kalkaska Planning Commission grants site plan approval, conditioned on agreement by Kalkaska Senior Center and their agents of compliance with the above listed conditions. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Historical District Study Committee: No update.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS – None
- Expenditure Report: Motion by Baxter, second by Burgin, to accept as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- Schedule Public Hearing – Petition to Amend Zoning Ordinance: Yost explained that the property owner is requesting to have a vacant parcel re-zoned from Commercial to Industrial. This would allow the property to be utilized in many ways, including a medical marijuana facility. Yost stated that the Master Plan supports this.
Motion by Yost, second by Burgin, to schedule the Public Hearing for the August 3, 2017 meeting. Motion carried on a voice vote.
Denny Corrado requested information on being a member of the Planning Commission.
Juanita Coon complimented the board for doing a fantastic job.
Motion by Baxter, second by White, to adjourn. Motion carried on a voice vote. The meeting was adjourned at 6:20 p.m.
Recorded by: Angie Koon, Village Clerk