VILLAGE OF KALKASKA
PLANNING COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING
APRIL 6, 2017
COUNCIL CHAMBERS – 200 HYDE STREET
MINUTES OF THE MEETING
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
Chair Larsen called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Chair Larsen, Sieting, Burgin, Baxter, White and Yost.
PUBLIC PRESENT: Elise Crafts, Dusty Christensen, Conrad Miller, Ashley Miller and Toby Leonard.
Chair Larsen led with the Pledge of Allegiance.
APPROVAL OF REGULAR AGENDA
Motion by Sieting, second by White, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- February 2, 2017 Regular Meeting: Motion by Sieting, second by Baxter, to approve as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- Master Plan Update from Elise Crafts of Networks Northwest: Crafts reviewed in detail results from the community planning survey, as well as public input received at the February 1, 2017 Speak Up Kalkaska Event. Crafts stated they are currently analyzing data from the Recreation Survey, which will be presented upon completion. Crafts discussed next steps in the planning process, which includes the meeting of focus groups to identify the most critical and feasible Village Master Plan goals. Crafts also reviewed the timeline for planning and approval processes.
SITE PLANS REVIEWS
- Data Spade: Project architect Dusty Christensen presented details on a proposed addition to an existing commercial office building located at 786 S. Cedar Street. The site plan also includes a change in use. Conrad Miller, owner of Data Spade, introduced himself and reviewed company background. Miller stated that the existing building will be used as office space for Data Spade, and the proposed addition will house a retail store and tanning salon. Additional parking is also being proposed. Yost stated that all uses are acceptable in the Commercial District.
Yost stated that he conducted an administrative review of the Site Plan Application and supplemental materials submitted by the applicant. During this administrative review, the following matters were identified that the Manager’s office views as conditions of any anticipated Site Plan approval:
- That required signage permits shall be obtained from the Village of Kalkaska in accordance with the Village Zoning Ordinances.
- That Data Spade secures final approval and permits from the Village of Kalkaska and MDOT for connections to US-131, and any other necessary streets, roads or highways.
- That Data Spade secures all required approvals and permits from all County and State agencies having jurisdiction.Yost pointed out that storm water management plans with calculations demonstrating adequate capacity and design were submitted by Data Spade and approved by the Village Engineer. With inclusion of the above listed conditions, the Manager’s office finds the application and submittals would meet the criteria for Site Plan Approval contained in Village of Kalkaska Zoning Ordinance §152.108.Motion by Yost, second by Sieting, to approve the site plan from Data Spade conditioned on agreement by Data Spade and their agents to strict compliance with conditions above. A roll call vote was then taken: Ayes – Baxter, Burgin, Sieting, White, Yost and Larsen; Nays – None; Absent – Jordan. Motion carried.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Historical District Study Committee: Burgin stated he has been trying to obtain a map from the County to share with other entities, such as the Michigan Historical Preservation Network, for assistance. Burgin also stated that the area of the proposed Historical District has been reduced.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: None
- Expenditure Report: Motion by Sieting, second by Burgin, to accept as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- Consider Resignation of Jordan and Declare Vacancy on the Planning Commission: Motion by Sieting, second by Burgin, to accept Jordan’s resignation and declare a vacancy on the Village Planning Commission. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- Re-Appointment of Committee Chairs and Members: Committee Chairs and members were appointed by Chair Larsen.
- Authorize Funds for member(s) to Attend the Annual Chamber Luncheon (April 26, 2017): Motion by Sieting, second by White, to authorize funds for interested members to attend. A roll call vote was then taken: Ayes – Baxter, Burgin, Sieting, White, Yost and Larsen; Nays –None; Absent – None. Motion carried.
- Schedule Public Hearing on Proposed Amendment to Medical Marijuana Zoning Ordinance: Yost announced that he does not yet have a draft of the proposed amendments for review prior to the Public Hearing. This item will be tabled to the next meeting.
Baxter expressed disappointment over limited parking at the new Credit Union. Yost stated they may be expanding the parking here.
Motion by Sieting, second by Baxter, to adjourn. Motion carried on a voice vote. The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 p.m.
Recorded by: Angie Koon, Village Clerk