VILLAGE OF KALKASKA
BROWNFIELD REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
MINUTES OF A REGULAR MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY, APRIL 6, 2017 IN THE VILLAGE OF KALKASKA COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 200 HYDE STREET, KALKASKA, MICHIGAN, 49646.
- CALL TO ORDER: The Village of Kalkaska Brownfield Redevelopment Authority regular meeting was called to order by Chair Neuhardt at 9:05 a.m.
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Chair Neuhardt, Mark Avery, Kevin Rogols and Valerie Thornburg
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: Don Kessel
PUBLIC PRESENT: Cash Cook and Mac McClelland
- APPROVAL OF REGULAR AGENDA: Motion by Rogols, second by Avery, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- February 9, 2017 Regular Meeting – Motion by Avery, second by Thornburg, to approve the minutes as presented. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- PUBLIC COMMENT: DDA Director Cash Cook gave an update on the Kalkaska Economic Alliance (KEA). Cook stated that a request was submitted for assistance with administering a Rotary Charities grant application.
- CORRESPONDENCE: Chair Neuhardt provided information regarding a presentation opportunity on EPA’s Technical Assistance for Brownfields program. Neuhardt will contact the appropriate party to request a presentation at a future Brownfield meeting.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS: None
- CURRENT BUSINESS
- Revenue/Expenditure Report:
- Review Phase I Environmental Site Assessments for Village-Owned Properties on Dresden Street: Mac McClelland of Otwell Mawby reviewed the text only versions of Phase I studies for Village Compost Area property, and additional vacant parcel on Dresden Street. McClelland identified potential issues in pursuing further testing on the Compost Area. Discussion took place on Brownfield’s role and next steps in the process.
Motion by Rogols, second by Avery, to ask Otwell Mawby to provide draft as correspondence for Brownfield Redevelopment Authority (BRA) review identifying the next steps that would be included in an Environmental Assessment of Village parcel 041-016-001-30, as well as the source of funding and potential liability to BRA and/or the Village of Kalkaska associated with such assessment or its findings, to be forwarded to the Village Council upon Brownfield approval. Motion carried on a voice vote.
- FOR YOUR INFORMATION: Chair Neuhardt stated that a resignation from Kessel is forthcoming, and asked members to advise of anyone interested in the upcoming vacancy.
- PUBLIC COMMENT: Mac McClelland stated that there have been recent changes made to the Brownfield Act, which consist mainly of technical clarifications, and will prepare a summary for board review.
- BOARD COMMENTS: None
- ADJOURNMENT – With no other business coming before the Board, motion by Avery, second by Rogols, to adjourn. Motion carried on a voice vote. The meeting was adjourned at 10:05 a.m.
Recorded By: Angie Koon, Village Clerk