Village of Kalkaska
Downtown Development Authority
MINUTES OF A SPECIAL MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 17, 2017 IN THE VILLAGE COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 200 HYDE STREET, KALKASKA, MICHIGAN, 49646
- CALL TO ORDER: The Village of Kalkaska Downtown Development Authority special meeting was called to order by Vice-Chair Coffey at 5:02 P.M.
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Burgin, Seiting, Coffey, Yost, Paryani, Ascione and Johnson.
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: Zenner and Sanborn
PUBLIC PRESENT: Cash Cook (DDA Director), Gayenell Gentelia (Recording Secretary)
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Motion by Sieting, second by Burgin, to approve agenda as presented. All Ayes, motion carried.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Motion by Johnson, second by Sieting, to approve the December 6, 2016 Regular Meeting minutes as presented. All Ayes, motion carried.
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: [Please stand and state your name for the record]
- PRESENTATION: None
- CORRESPONDENCE: NADO Award, Thank you letter from KHS
- COMMITTEE REPORTS
- DDA Director Update
- The trails consortium is getting close to a final MOU on the Boardman trail to Guernsey Lake.
- State bill 288 is scheduled to designate all State Forrest Roads to ORV trails. The DNR will be mapping these trails throughout 2017.
- We got the village a grant for 50 trees to plant throughout the village, as well as an Urban Tree Canopy Assessment.
- We’re working with Rotary Charities to get a planning and capacity / Seeds grant for County Rec to assist them with planning the “Fairgrounds / baseball / soccer” area development.
- I attended an MEDC training session in Cadillac, revolving around community redevelopment.
- We’re continuing to work on the development of the Kalkaska Economic Alliance.
- Wednesday, February 1st, at 6 PM is a community input forum named “Speak Up Kalkaska” for the cooperative master plans. When you get an email invitation, please forward it to your email contact list. Also, there will be an email survey directly after Speak Up Kalkaska. Please not only take the survey, but again, forward it to your email contact list.
- The Railroad Speeder Car Tour will return Saturday, June 3rd.
- Main Street Program Developer Update
- The LSTA grant application with the Library is moving forward. We are meeting with 3 businesses who have agreed to be a partner with us for this program if the Library gets the grant: Kalkaska Screw, Hayes Industries and Hague Equipment. We’ve been working with the Library to submit for a grant to bring a Youth Job Training/Internship/Job Shadowing/Mentoring program to the Kalkaska Area. The Kalkaska Area Youth Alliance would include Kalkaska Public Schools, Forest Area Schools, MI Works, Teen Health Center, The Village, The DDA, The Library and area businesses and major employers.
- The library has chosen a contractor for the Conceptual Design of the new library. They will begin their Feasibility Study interviews next month.
- Cash and I spent last Friday at Kalkaska High School. We were guest speakers for the Civic Awareness Class and discussed local government, the Master Planning Collaboration, volunteering and how they can help us by providing input at the Community Input event and/or the online survey that will be going out after Feb. 1.
- MI Main Street had to cancel their visit on January 18. They would like to reschedule for the first week of April.
- I participated in the North Country Trail Webinar. NCT has provided guidelines and expectations on maintaining the Trail Town designation for every NCT Trail Town.
- Discussed marking NCT trail with visible markers along trail
- Discussed marking trail for School Forest
- Interest in being part of the NCT Committee
- We met with Kim from Live Well Kalkaska County Coalition to discuss how they can help with the Farmers’ Market this year. They are looking to help finance some marketing for the market and demonstration at the market.
- Projects & Promotions
- Christmas Decorations – Comments: It was good, but need more.
- Lack of garland
- Dress up the town more
- Doesn’t stand out
- Bring to Projects & Promotions
- Discussed Event Bookmarks
- Motion by Sieting, second by Paryani, to approve $250 to order event bookmarkers. A roll call vote was taken: Ayes – Burgin, Coffey, Paryani, Johnson, Sieting, Yost and Ascione. Nays – None. Absent – Sanborn and Zenner. Motion Carried.
- Discussed Community Concerts
- Discussed Tent
- Approx. $600/event
- Suggestion to keep Trout Festival Tent up all summer
- Go to Trout Festival Board and discuss the possibility of using tent for the entire summer
- Discussed creating a fee schedule for Railroad Square
- Movie Screen
- Fire Pit/Ring
- Will send Tent and fee schedule discussion to P&P committee
- Christmas Decorations – Comments: It was good, but need more.
- Main Street/RRC Committee
- Finished up self-evaluation for RRC
- Will continue self-evaluation for Section 4-6 and have questions ready for the training on Feb. 28
- Michigan Main Street postponed until April
- Design Committee
- Reviewed the RFP and scored each proposal
- All 3 would have done a great job
- Cut out MSU could not do it because of timing
- Committee recommending Wade Trim be awarded the contract (highest score) 7 point difference
- Motion by Sieting, second by Burgin, to award the RFP in the amount of $12,500 to Wade Trim and have Zenner as signatory. A Roll Call vote was taken: Ayes – Coffey, Paryani, Johnson, Sieting, Yost, Ascione and Burgin. Nays – None. Absent – Sanborn and Zenner. Motion Carried.
- CURRENT BUSINESS:
- Bills: Motion by Sieting, second by Burgin, to approve payment of bills as presented. A roll call vote was taken: Ayes –Paryani, Johnson, Sieting, Yost, Ascione, Burgin and Coffey. Nays – None. Absent – Sanborn and Zenner. Motion carried.
- Cash Balance Report: Motion by Burgin, second by Johnson, to accept as presented. All Ayes, motion carried.
- Revenue Expenditure Report: Motion by Burgin, second by Johnson, to accept as presented. All Ayes, motion carried.
- Approve Northern Greenlawn, Inc. Contract to Continue Fertilizing Railroad Square (Chamber Site also included): Contract would include the Chamber site. $486 if pre-paid. Change Contract to reflect Railroad Square. Motion by Burgin, second by Sieting to approve Northern Greenlawn contract. A Roll Call vote was taken: Ayes – Johnson, Sieting, Yost, Ascione, Burgin, Coffey and Paryani. Nays – None. Absent – Sanborn and Zenner. Motion Carried.
- Approve Design Committee Recommendation of RFP Bid Acceptance: Agenda item completed during Design Committee Update
- Approve Updated By-Laws: Discussion on By-Laws update, Strike last sentence of Article II, Section 5. Send back to the committee. Board members send suggestions of changes to the committee.
- 2017-2018 Proposed Budget: Discussion on proposed budget. Committee chair to meet with Burgin to discuss line by line item. Motion by Sieting, second by Paryani, to accept proposed budget and forward to Village Council for approval. A Roll Call vote was taken: Ayes – Johnson, Sieting, Yost, Ascione, Coffey and Paryani. Nays – Burgin. Absent – Zenner and Sanborn. Motion Carried.
- Speak Up Kalkaska!:
- OLD BUSINESS: None
- FOR YOUR INFORMATION: None
- ADJOURN: Motion by Yost, second by Sieting, to adjourn the meeting at 6:23 PM. All Ayes, Motion Carried.
Next Meeting – February 7, 2017 @ 5:00 p.m.
Recording Secretary: Gayenell Gentelia